Did you know that your oral health has a significant impact on your overall heath? To protect your family and yourself, you need to understand the intimate connection between your mouth and the body.
Your mouth is populated by a uncountable number of harmless bacteria and generally, regular brushing and flossing keep these bacteria under control. But in the case of poor oral hygiene, the increase in bacteria level may lead to tooth decay or any other gum disease. Also, the consumption of certain medications like painkillers and decongestants can reduce saliva flow inside the mouth leaving the mouth vulnerable to the microbial invasion which might develop into a disease.
Oral health and related issues
Oral health may affect, or might get affected by your overall health and hygiene. It may contribute to one or many of these conditions :
- Endocarditis : When the infection spreads through a bloodstream to the inner lining of the heart, known as endocardium.
- Cardiovascular disease : Many researchers believe that some of the cardiovascular diseases are a result of oral infections as well.
- HIV/AIDS : Problems like mucosal lesions are found to be common between people infected with HIV/AIDS.
Protection and care
To protect your teeth and to maintain good overall health, it is necessary to take certain steps towards practicing oral hygiene every day. With advanced dentistry procedures and dental implant techniques, it is easy to take good care of your teeth in Cary NC, Apex NC, and Preston Cary. These can be :
- Brushing your teeth, twice, daily.
- Teeth whitening.
- The time gap between meals and eating a balanced diet.
- Replacing toothbrush every four months and scheduling regular oral checkups.